Penny Ashton - 1990
Serves 6 to 8
Requires 5 qt. kettle
Beans must be presoaked
see PRESOAK below.
|U.S. SENATE BEAN SOUP|
|Our Senate passed a law requiring that this soup be prepared and served daily in the Senate dining rooms. It would be a great choice for dinner on Election Night in November or maybe better, just the thing to give you the stamina necessary to get through the California Voter's Pamphlets. You are, of course, registered and actively participating voters.|
|1||lb||Dried White Beans|
The Senate kitchens use marrow beans.
|>||Put Beans, Ham and Water in soup kettle. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and Simmer 2 hours.|
|Meaty Ham bone|
Smoked Ham Hocks
|3||Q||Water (to cook)|
|3||Med||Onions (chopped fine)||>||Chop Veggies. Add Veggies and Potatoes to pot. Simmer 1 hr. longer or until beans are tender.|
|3||Stalks||Celery (chopped fine)|
|1||C||Mashed Potatoes OR cup instant|
|some||Salt (optional)||>||Salt if desired.|
|¼||t||black pepper (freshly ground)|
|Snippets||Parsley or Chives (to garnish)|
|CROCK POT (5 QT):|
|Place beans and 6 cups water in a sauce pan Bring to boil. Boil 10 minutes, Drain. Put veggies in Crock Pot, stir in beans, put meat on top. Cook on HIGH: 4 ½ - 5 ½ hours or LOW: 10 to 12 hours.|
- Spread beans out on a cookie sheet (waxed paper) remove stems and foreign debris. Rinse in colander to remove field dust and grit.
- Beans require soaking to make them more easily digestible (to prevent some of the gas). There are 2 methods:
- 6 to 8 hours before preparation: Cover beans with water 2 to 3 inches over the top of them, soak for 6 to 8 hours. Soak all night, to start cooking the next morning. Soak all day, to cook in the evening.
- Cover beans with water in a pot, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to soak for 1 hour.
- Drain, discard water, rinse and proceed with Recipe.